Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Training Update 4/2/2008

Well I fell into another 2 months of being busy and too lazy to update this thing. There were some important things that happened so wanted to outline them out now before 6 months went by and then it would of been too late.

First I winter league has come and gone and out team 'Texas Breakside Massacre' finished out 2nd place in the league, losing in the finals 15-16. It was a pretty good season playing with NGM and Arun; and I felt pretty good physically. Definitely felt a lot more explosive on my cuts and just continuing to work hard to get this going into tryouts.

Speaking of tryouts, it's been made official now that the 2 teams will be merging and there will be open tryouts for everyone currently on the team and anyone else new. So now there is kind of an unknown looking forward in the season but I think it's helped keep me motivated during training since there is possibility of not playing if I slack off. So the keys that I have personally going into this is to work as hard as I can before and leave it all on the field, and to stay healthy by doing as much work stretching and addressing my injuries as I do lifting weights or running.

I bought the 'The Ultimate Off-Season Training Manual' by E. Cressey and it was a great read. This thing won't give you new exercises to do or anything like that but it will get your mind set on what you should be trying to accomplish in a sport's off season. One the points that I took away was the fact that you should get away from your sport as much as possibly in the offseason. The quote from that is 'no one wins awards from being in game shape year round' and it is true, at least in my case. I've always felt like I underperformed at the end of the last couple seasons and as a result I've looked to play as much as possible in the off-season. Cressey points out that what you should be doing is hitting the weights hard and just raising your general athleticism. This will serve you better when the regular season hits.

Alright there were a couple other great points that I took out of the read but I've got to run to WIT's practice this afternoon. Looking forward I'm looking to provide weekly updates.

No comments: